Pvt hospital botches surgery, faces med negligence charge

30 October, 2015

TRICHY: A couple is awaiting justice from a five-member team constituted by the Trichy district collector to look into their allegations of medical negligence against a private hospital in the city. 

A Rajalakshmi, 26, a resident of Burma Colony, delivered a female baby on July 30 at the Child Jesus Hospital in the city. Eight days after the delivery, she developed severe pain in her stomach and was shifted to another private hospital. 

Rajalakshmi was put through scans and lab tests to ascertain the cause of the pain but the hospital failed to find out the presence of foreign object inside the stomach. 

As the pain did not subside, Rajalakshmi's husband P Anand, 33, a solider in the Indian Army, took his wife to Commando Hospital in Bengaluru. On August 18, a doctor at the Commando Hospital performed a surgery and removed a gauze (129cm in length and 11cm in width) from Rajalakshmi's stomach. 

Anand approached Trichy district collector Dr KS Palanisamy seeking action against Child Jesus Hospital for its medical negligence. 

The collector has formed a five-member team to look into the allegations of Anand and take action against the hospital if the negligence charge was proved against it. 

Headed by dean of MGMGH Dr MK Muralitharan, the team comprises joint director of health services (JDHS) Dr R Bhiranesh, deputy director of health services (DDHS) Dr I Raveendran, head of the department of obstetrics and gynaecology of MGMGH Dr Parimaladevi and the head of the department of anaesthetist of MGMGH Dr Jothi. 

Sources said the doctors and the staff of Child Jesus Hospital have washed their hands off the issue and denied the allegations made by the couple. 

"Doctors and staff of Child Jesus Hospital maintain that they performed the surgery perfectly as per the procedure. All the gauzes used for the surgery were taken out safely," said an official. 

The team had summoned the doctor who performed surgery for Rajalakshmi at the Commando Hospital. 


"We have asked the doctor in the army hospital to appear before for the team but there was no response from him so far. If he fails to appear before the team, the report will be prepared with the available details and sent to the district collector," said an official. 


The team also enquired with Rajalakshmi and an attendant who assisted her in the hospital. They stood firm in their complaint that the gauze inside her stomach was a clear medical negligence. The entire proceedings were video-graphed by the team. Statements were taken in writing. 


A radiologist and a technician of another private hospital were also summoned on October 26. 


"The doctor and the technician did not bring any document related to their tests for the enquiry. So, we have asked them to produce those documents in the next hearing," said a member of the team. 

With the enquiry by the team half-way through, Rajalakshmi and Anand are hoping that they would get justice in the end.