Negligence charge against top hospital

10 October, 2015

In a shocking case of medical negligence, a 44-yearold woman's family has lodged a complaint against doctors of a top private hospital here, alleging they amputated both her hands and feet following an intestinal surgery without their consent, a charge which the hospital has denied. 

Premwati, a resident of Shahbad Mohammadpur of South West Delhi, after a complaint of stomach pain and fever, was admitted to Max hospital in Saket on 7 August. Doctors, after investigations, said that the patient had perforation of the intestine and required an operation.

“The doctors wanted to operate her and we gave consent. But, after the surgery, doctors said that she developed severe sepsis. So they cut a couple of her infected fingers. But to our shock, they amputated her both hands and feet without our consent, which is not acceptable,” said her brother, P R Saini.

But, Max hospital authorities said, after Premwati was diagnosed with septic shock, acute renal failure and perforation of the intestine, she underwent a life saving emergency surgery on August 7. 

Post-surgery, she was shifted to the surgical ICU, where she was on ventilator support and inotropic support, they said. 

The Max authorities claimed that they had taken her relatives' consent before the amputation surgery. 

“Because of acute septicaemia, she developed gangrene of both upper and lower limb. The patient underwent amputation of the gangrenous parts by the orthopaedic team after thorough pre-operative evaluation and consent from the patient's attendants. 

The family was duly explained the criticality of her condition upon which as per necessary processes they also signed a highrisk consent form... At present, the patient is in the ICU and she is being attended to by multiple specialists,” said a statement issued by the Super Specialty hospital. Premwati's kin have lodged a police complaint at Saket police station. However, no FIR has been registered in the case. 

"We have received the complaint and have sought details from the hospital. Investigations are underway,” said a senior police official.