Reportedly, Waman Zare came to Sion hospital on August 4 with a history of breathlessness and fluid retention in lungs and had to get those fluids removed. The doctor, a first year resident who had to perform the procedure left midway after having a panic attack. After he left, another first year post-graduate doctor carried on the procedure, but without taking any prior consent or supervision of a senior.
Investigation have revealed that the doctor had punctured the left lung instead of the affected right, sending the patient into a cardiac shock.
Acting dean Dr N D Moulick said it was a case of "human error" and not something attributable to stress or work pressure. The ward with 84 patients was being manned by only two resident doctors.