Bhopal Constables death, family alleges med negligence, hospital denies

24 November, 2016

BHOPAL: Wife of head a constable, who died on November 14 at Gastro Care Hospital has accused doctors of medical negligence and delaying the treatment till the family submitted a cheque.

Nirmala informed Free Press that her husband Ramadhar Patel, posted at Shamla Hills police station, was admitted to the Gastro Care hospital following stomach problems.

During diagnosis, it was discovered that he was suffering from liver abscess. He was treated and on November 14, it was decided that he should be discharged and a final endoscopy was scheduled for 1pm.


But the hospital refused to accept payment in the demonetised currency notes of Rs 500 and 1000 and asked them to pay the bill in the new notes.

The family arranged a cheque for Rs 30,000. The family alleges that only after the cheque was given to the hospital, that the patient was taken to the OT. The hospital’s insistence at getting the payment first cost Ramadhar his life.

Ramadhar was taken to the operation theatre around 4.30 pm. The doctors told the family that it will take only 30 to 45 minutes to complete the process.

But the doctors took almost two-and-a-half hours and the family was also asked to arrange blood. Around 7.30 pm he was brought out of the OT and shifted to the ICU where he breathed his last at 9.50 pm.

“The doctors did not proper care of my brother”, alleged his sister Ramwati Patel. The post-mortem report said that the death was due to shock, pneumonia and abscess in liver.

Son Roshan alleged that doctors had done diagnosis and treatment and they never told the family that Ramadhar was suffering from pneumonia.

ASI of Habibganj police station Vishwakarma informed that blood samples of the deceased have been sent to a Hyderabad laboratory and after the reports are in and the statements of the family members are recorded, a case will be registered.

Dr Sanjay Kumar of the hospital informed that “We didn’t stop the treatment even though the family did not have valid currency to pay the bills. The patient was critical and we tried our best to save his life.”