Negligence alleged for womans death

10 October, 2016

Puri: A woman allegedly died due to medical negligence at a private nursing home in the city here after delivering a baby girl in the wee hours of Sunday.
Relatives of the deceased lodged a complaint with Kumbharpada police and sought action against the nursing home authorities. Police have seized the body and sent it for a post-mortem.
Barsha (28), wife of Sushant Ray, of Markandsahi was admitted to the district headquarters hospital (DHH) after she complained of labour pain Saturday afternoon. Doctors at the DHH referred Barsha to Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar when she developed some complications. 
However, Barsha’s relatives shifted her to Shivanand Nursing Home in the city here after being lured by a middleman Saturday evening. She gave birth to a baby girl in the nursing home around 10 pm.
Nursing home officials later rushed Barsha to another private hospital in the city on the plea that she had developed health complications. But she died while being treated in the intensive care unit of the private hospital in the wee hours of Sunday. 
“Doctors at Shivanand Nursing Home told us that Barsha and her baby were stable. But they shifted Barsha to another private hospital on the plea that she needed some advanced treatment. Authorities of Shivanand Nursing Home are responsible for Barsha’s death,” claimed Sushant.
Shivanand Nursing Home owner Sagar Sriharichandan, however, denied medical negligence beaing the cause of Barsha’s death. “The woman had developed severe health complications after delivering the baby. We had shifted her to another private hospital for better treatment. But she died due to heavy bleeding,” Sriharichandan said.
A few social activists, meanwhile, blamed the presence of some middlemen of private hospitals at the DHH for the woman’s death. “Middlemen are luring serious patients to some private hospitals which do not have proper health infrastructure. Many patients are dying due to lack of proper healthcare at private nursing homes,” said a social activist. 
Chief district medical officer Jagatkrushna Samantaray said they will launch a probe to ascertain causes behind the woman’s death.