Paras hosp makes news on social media after patients death

17 August, 2016

Patna: Social media remained abuzz with allegations of medical negligence leading to the death of a woman in city's Paras-HMRI hospital with a video featuring an ugly exchange of words between a patient's attendant and a doctor inside the hospital's ICU going viral on the Facebook and WhatsApp on Wednesday.
Sexagenarian Shail Devi's son Praveen Chandra later in the evening lodged an FIR in the Shastrinagar police station, blaming the hospital for his mother's death.
The woman, according to the FIR, had been admitted to the hospital on August 6 and discharged on August 14 on the ground that she had been too ill to be cured.
As she complained of uneasiness, she was admitted to the hospital again on August 15. "She died at 11.30am on August 16 due to the negligence of the hospital personnel," the FIR alleged without naming any doctor. The video, shot by Shail's niece Parineeti on her cellphone, shows a doctor asking her not to shoot the hospital personnel trying to revive the patient through cardiac massage as her presence was disturbing the hospital staff. As she remained adamant, a visibly annoyed doctor virtually invited her to shoot the "dying" patient.
"My aunt had already died and was being kept in ICU only to add to hospital bills," Pareeniti told newsmen.
Hospital's additional medical superintendent Dr Syed Asif Armaan, however, denied the charge.
"The patient required certain invasive (surgical) procedures for which her attendants had not given consent. She had, therefore, a cardiac arrest," he said.
Latest Comment

Well private hospitals all over India are accused of such unethical practice.
Shree Kumar

While the complaint to police says Shail had been discharged on August 14 on the hospital's advice, Dr Armaan said she had been taken from the hospital against medical advice. "The attendants had pleaded they could not afford her further treatment," he said.
The doctor said the patient was suffering from septicaemia and kidney failure when she was first admitted to the hospital in a ward. "She had to be admitted to ICU because she was in a critical condition when she was brought again on August 15," he said.