CEO, four doctors of Hiranandani hospital arrested in kidney transplant case

10 August, 2016

Five doctors, including the CEO and the medical director of Dr LH Hiranandani hospital in Mumbai, were arrested late on Tuesday night in connection with an alleged attempt for an illegal kidney transplant, believed to be part of a bigger racket.

Mumbai police investigating the case from last month apprehended CEO Sujeet Chaterjee, medical director Anurag Naik, and doctors Mukesh Shete, Mukesh Shah and Prakash Shetty for medical negligence, taking the total arrests up to 13. 

Read | Cops make 7th arrest in kidney racket

“Based on the report of appropriate authority today at 8:30pm, the Powai Police arrested the five doctors under section 12 and 21 of the transplantation of human organs act 1994,” said Ashok Dudhe, deputy commissioner of police and spokesperson for Mumbai Police. The accused will be produced before the Andheri magistrate’s court on Wednesday.

According to a Powai police official, the arrest was based on a three-member state health inquiry committee report that stated a nephrologist and two urologists were negligent on multiple counts. 

Explaining the roles of the doctors, the official said, “They did not verify the documents thoroughly due to which their negligence has occurred. They should not have gone ahead with the surgery till they had satisfactory information that the donor and receipent are related. However, they have had a casual attitude and have not performed their duties properly.”

Powai Police are looking into at least four more cases now. A new case will be registered if evidence on any illegal organ transplant surfaces in the investigations, zone 10 deputy commissioner of police, Vinayak Deshmukh, told Hindustan Times.


Read | Kidney racket: Hospital staffer, middleman held

A first information report was registered on July 13 under several sections of the Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994, based on a tip off by Mahesh Tanna, a social worker who found out about the illegal procedure. 

Based on Tanna’s information, the police and the hospital authorities stopped the illegal transplant for Surat-based businessman Brijkishore Jaiswal, and arrested his son Kishan, and agents — Bhijendra Bisen, Bharat Sharma, and Iqbal Siddiqui. They were remanded in police custody.

Nilesh Kamble, a social worker and transplant coordinator at the private hospital, was also arrested.

According to police, Bisen is the kingpin of the operation. His aide Kamble was employed at the hospital for three years, and cleared over 100 kidney transplant papers. The remaining accused helped in the paper work and forgery. 

Jaiswal allegedly paid Rs 21 lakh to Bisen for the procedure, of which about Rs 8 lakh has been recovered.

Police also arrested the donor, Shoba Thakur alias Rekha Devi. 

Bisen and Jaiswal are currently out on bail, while the remaining accused, except Shobha, are in judicial custody.