No infant has died in Indore government hospitals due to negligence over the past year, Madhya Pradesh medical education minister Sharad Jain told the Assembly on Monday even as MY Hospital records claim more than 20 children had died in the last five months.
HT had reported last month about the lapses and deaths of infants due to alleged negligence at government hospitals in Indore. In May, two toddlers died after they were administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen. Last month, body of a newborn was bitten by ants as it was kept in a room instead of a morgue. On June 18, body of a stillborn was taken by a dog from the burns unit.
On the Day 1 of Assembly monsoon session, Congress’ Indore legislator Jitu Patwari sought to know from the medical education minister the details about the number of children died due to medical negligence and the action taken against the doctors.
But the minister, in a written reply, denied any such death.
Patwari told Hindustan Times that the state government started a new trend of lying in the House.
“It is no secret how the healthcare system in the state has deteriorated. There have been regular incidents of medical negligence across the state, including Indore. The government is misleading people even on facts,” he said.
Patwari said a preliminary investigation revealed there was a mix-up in the lines carrying the gases to the respiratory equipment at the newly constructed paediatric unit of MY Hospital, which killed two infants.
After obituary references, speaker Sitasaran Sharma adjourned monsoon session till Wednesday. The House paid tributes to legislators and former legislators who died recently. They included Rajendra Shyamlal Dadu, Satyendra Pathak, Narnarayan Singh, Kaamta Prasad Kushwah, Ibrahim Qureshi, Dr Laxminarayan Pandey, Rajesh Nandini Singh, Dalpat Singh Paraste, Yagyadutt Sharma and Ranbahadur Singh. The House also paid tributes to AK Pyasi, the former principal secretary of state assembly.
Some cases in Indore over last one year
June 18, 2016: Body of a stillborn was taken by a dog from the Burns unit of MY hospital.
J une 6, 2016: Ants eat the body of a newborn which died at the district hospital due to aspiration or cot death. Parents of the child said the body was kept in a room instead of the morgue.
May 29-30, 2016: Two toddlers aged one and five years died after they were accidentally administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen. The entire incident unfolded at the newly-built state of the art operation theatre at the pediatrics unit.
April 3, 2016: A woman stole a three-month-old boy bypassing the security of the hospital. The woman was arrested and the baby was recovered.
February, 2016: An unidentified woman stole a newborn which exposed loopholes in the security system. The woman was later arrested and the baby was handed over to its parents.
December, 2015: A newborn wrapped in a cloth fell on the floor and died. It was reported that the nurse was flapping the bed sheet while trying to make the bed and did not notice the child.