Childs death: Kin allege negligence

22 July, 2016

Indore: Kin of a 14-year-old boy alleged medical negligence by doctors after he died at a city's private hospital on Thursday allegedly due to high anaesthesia dose. Agitated mob vandalized the hospital and created ruckus for nearly two hours after hospital administration informed about kid's demise. 

Resident of Gwaltoli area, patient Himanshu, son of Jai Dhiman was admitted to Medicare Hospital in Palasia area on Wednesday after a matchstick broke and got stuck inside his ear. Family members said that doctors advised surgery after preliminary medical tests and admitted him on Wednesday. 


While doctors were about to perform a surgery, the patient died. His kin alleged that hospital administration tried to conceal he information from them and doctors remained unavailable. "We were not informed about the treatment till Wednesday evening. He was later shifted to ICU after he was given some injection. We tried contacting the doctor but he remained unavailable. We were informed about death on Thursday morning. We have lodged a police complaint on the matter," said Jai Dhiman. 


However, hospital administration rebuffed allegation of medical negligence stating the kid died of pre-existing illness. Hospital administrator, Shyam Mundra said, "The kid was suffering from cardiac problem. Reports revealed that the kid had cardio myopathy which took his life. There was no wrong injection given or medical negligence in treatment."


Mundra said that instead of cooperating, family members misbehaved with hospital staff, vandalized hospital property and even confiscated medical record of the patient. "We have reported the matter to the police and requested to get the medical records back. We are a trusted healthcare service provider and cannot afford negligence," said Mundra. 


On the other hand, family members have asked to arrest the doctor who treated the patient. Body was sent for post mortem examination before handing over it to the family for performing last rites. In-charge, Palasia police station Rajendra Soni said that appropriate action will be taken only after post mortem report comes .