Victim of medical negligence still awaits justice

25 June, 2016

Two years after he lost his leg to medical negligence, Aman is still awaiting justice.

Aman, then 10, sustained a deep injury on May 1, 2014 when a two-inch glass piece penetrated his leg. He was first taken to a quack and later to Bara Hindu Rao Hospital. From there, he was referred to Safdarjung Hospital. Deccan Herald had reported the case in June.

Last year, the Delhi Medical Council (DMC) had passed an order in which four doctors were suspended from the Centre-run Safdarjung Hospital and municipal corporation’s Bara Hindu Rao Hospital for a month after they were found guilty of medical negligence.

But the doctors appealed against the order and the matter was referred to the Medical Council of India. “The doctors had the option of appealing against the order within one month from the date of the order being issued,” said DMC registrar Dr Girish Tyagi.

The MCI will now hear the case on June 30. Dr Anil Bansal, ex-chairperson of the DMC’s anti-quackery cell says the case should have been fast-tracked.

“The DMC first took over a year to take a decision on the complaint. Following the doctors’ appeal, the matter went to the MCI which has then taken another year to call both the parties for a hearing,” said Dr Anil Bansal.

“The medical bodies should dispose cases of medical negligence more promptly,” he said.  

The quack had bandaged the wound, which worsened Aman’s condition. He was later taken to Bara Hindu Rao Hospital where there was delay in treatment, according to the family from Rana Pratap Bagh area.

He was later shifted to Safdarjung Hospital, where doctors did not give him timely treatment either. Eventually, the boy’s leg was amputated at a private hospital in Meerut. The procedure cost the family around Rs 1.5 lakh.

Aman’s family now is struggling to manage the funds for  treatment while the boy is trying hard to resume normal life. “Aman is now studying in class 8. But our lives are far from normal. With five kids, we are struggling for funds for his treatment,” said Reshma, his mother. “I have quit my job as a housekeeper at a girls’ hostel and his father now ekes out a living as an electrician,” said Reshma.

“It has been two years now. My son lost his leg but there is still no justice for him. We have to frequently go to Meerut for his treatment. He is due to undergo another procedure. But now with the hearing nearing, we decided to postpone it,” she said.