4-year-old dies of anaesthesia overdose, case against GH docs in Chennai

27 June, 2016

CHENNAI: A case of medical negligence has been filed against doctors at the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital after a 4-year-old boy allegedly died of anaesthesia complications on Saturday.

I Kaviyarasu, son of T Ilayaraja and Shanthi, hailing from Kollumedu in Avadi, was undergoing treatment for muscle contraction problem at the Multi-Super Specialty Hospital at the Omandurar Estate.“Since the child had a medical history of seizures, a brain MRI scan was recommended. Doctors there suggested anaethesia to be administered at the MRI scanning section in the RGGGH,” said Dr G Sheela Rani, Medical Superintendent of the RGGGH.

The child was brought to the GH as an out-patient on Friday morning. In the afternoon, after assessing the child’s condition, anaesthesia was given to the four-year -old. “But the pulse rate of the baby started receding on the scanning table itself. Immediately, the child was shifted to the emergency care,” she said.

As the baby required paediatric expertise, he was shifted to the Institute of Child Health, Egmore in a neo-natal ambulance with two anaesthesiologists. But around 6 pm, the boy died.

“The child died as a result of anaesthesia overdose. It is clearly due to medical negligence. We want justice. We will take the matter to court. said N Vidya Sagar, advocate for the deceased family.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/4-year-old-dies-of-anaesthesia-overdose-case-against-GH-docs-in-Chennai/2016/06/27/article3501962.ece