8-Year-Old Dies after Hospital Mistakenly Administers Nitrous Oxide Instead of Oxygen

31 May, 2016

An 8-year-old boy has died and another is critically ill at a government hospital in Indore after they were accidentally given Nitrous Oxide instead of Oxygen in the operation theatre.
 
Post the death of the boy, the operation theatre at the Maharaja Yeshwantrao hospital has been sealed and an FIR has been registered against the hospital. Another patient who was administered the wrong gas is only 18-months-old. According to some people the hospital has had similar cases of medical negligence in the past.
 
A blame game has started following the death of the boy. While the hospital authority said that the contractor who fixed the gas pipeline at the operation theatre is to be blamed, the latter has accused the hospital of negligence saying that his job was only to fix the pipeline. “My job was only to install the pipes. Using those pipes to supply gas was the job of the hospital,” he said.
 
A senior doctor at the hospital said that there are two colour coded pipelines in the operation theatre, each for oxygen and nitrous oxide respectively and a mix-up of both the pipes probably led to the accident. The hospital is conducting an enquiry on the root cause behind the horrible incident.

http://daily.bhaskar.com/news/TOP-indore-medical-negligence-5337621-PHO.html