Coimbatore: A 5-year-old-boy, who was suffering from pain in both ears, died after receiving treatment at a private hospital in Saibaba Colony here on Monday evening. The body is kept at the Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital (CMCH) for postmortem. The boy's parents initially refused to receive the body until the police took action against the private hospital and doctors for medical negligence. Later, after they were pacified by the police, they received their son's body.
The deceased was identified as M Deepak, 5, from Palani Konar Street in Velandipalayam. He was a UKG student at a private school. Police said, K Murugan, 33, a native of Karumparapatti village in Dindigul district, was a mason in Coimbatore city. He resides in a rental house with his wife M Sudha, 26, and two sons, M Eswaran, 7, and M Deepak.
Deepak had been suffering from severe ear pain for several days. He was rushed to Paavai ENT hospital on Chinnammal Street in KK Pudur on Monday evening. Doctors found that wax had accumulated in both his ears. They cleaned his ears and gave him two injections, one a paracetamol and the other an antibiotic.
When the child fainted a few minutes after he received the injections, the doctors gave him a steroid injection. Regardless, his pulse rate dropped drastically. Subsequently, he was rushed to CMCH for advanced treatment, but doctors there declared him as brought dead.
"My son's death has been caused by medical negligence. I want the doctors responsible for his death to be punished severely," said Murugan, the child's father. On Tuesday morning, the parents and relatives of the boy besieged the district collectorate, seeking action against the doctors. They also wanted a team of doctors from Chennai to conduct the postmortem.
They also approached CMCH dean, A Edwin Joe. "They sought permission to videograph the postmortem. I clearly told them that only the Madras high court could give them this approval. If they want a team of doctors from Chennai to conduct the postmortem, they would have to get an order from the court," said the dean. Later, they allowed CMCH to conduct the post-mortem.
When the founder of Paavai hospital, Dr M Illangovan was contacted, he said that the doctors first cleaned the boy's ears. But he continued to suffer from ear pain. Before administering the injections, he was tested for allergies. People with heart and lung problems faint when they suffer severe pain. We will have to wait for the postmortem report to ascertain exact cause of death," he said.